Before we get into the tips and tricks for up keeping your leather shoes, let’s talk about the basic items you’ll need and why they are important.
- Shoe Trees: Makes the job easier as it holds your shoes in place when shining them. Not only are they useful during shoe shining, they absorb moisture from your shoes which in turn, prolongs the lifespan of your shoes!
- Shoe Shine Brush: Helps to prepare the shoes by removing debris and dust lying on the surface of the shoes. It is also an essential tool for shoe shining.
- Soft Cloth: Anything from an old t-shirt or special buffing cloth. Both works just as good. A soft cloth is needed as you will need to wax specific areas of the shoe evenly and thoroughly (explained below).
- Shoe Polishes: Wax polishes will lend colour, mend scuffing and minor scratches and create shines.
- Few drops of water: For extra shine.
When you have these essentials ready, it’s time to start shining!
Step 01: Ensure the shoe trees are in place and you have removed the laces on your shoes.
Step 02: Buff off excess debris and dust on the surface of the shoes using the shoe brush.
Step 03: Apply a thin and even layer of wax using the shoe brush with up and down motions. Before moving on to the next step, check that there is an even layer of wax coated on the entire shoe. You can start brushing vigorously to ensure that you have removed the excess wax, leaving on a thin film.
Step 04: Once you have an even layer of wax coating, you can start using your soft cloth to make small circular motions with a dab of wax, focused on the toe and heel of the shoe to start creating extra shine.
Step 05: When you start to see some shine peeking through, you can add a drop of water whenever you need and continue making little circular motions. Sit back as shoe shining takes time and patience, especially if you are looking for a mirror shine.
Step 06: Repeat step 5 until you are satisfied with the shine. You’re done!